- If you’ve lead paint in your home, getting rid of it as soon as possible is imperative.
- You must also take precautions to avoid exposure to lead dust, especially if you plan to renovate your home.
- Be sure to follow the Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule to protect yourself and your family from exposure to lead.
Paint containing lead was commonly used for residential and commercial painting until 1978 when the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission banned its use in residential paint. Lead-based paint is still present in millions of homes and can pose serious health hazards if not properly managed.
Lead poisoning can cause various health problems, from behavioral disorders and learning difficulties to seizures and death. Young children are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning because their bodies are still developing, and they are more likely to put their hands and other objects in their mouths.
If you’ve lead paint in your home, getting rid of it as soon as possible is critical. You can either hire a painting company or do it yourself – but either way, DeltaPro Painters suggest essential to take action immediately. Lead paint is a serious hazard and should not be taken lightly.
Lead Paint: A Brief History
Lead paint was once a popular choice for commercial and residential use because it’s durable and inexpensive. However, lead is a highly toxic metal that can have serious health consequences if ingested or inhaled. Lead poisoning can cause neurological problems, learning disabilities, and other issues.
If you live in a home built before 1978, there’s a good chance it has lead-based paint. Even if your home has been remodeled or updated, traces of lead paint may still be present. If you think you’ve lead paint in your home, it’s important to take precautions to protect yourself and your family from exposure.
Risks Of Having Lead Paint in Your Home
As discussed, lead paint can be hazardous. If you think you’ve lead paint in your home, it’s important to take the following precautions:
1. Keep Your Home Clean & Free of Dust.
Dust is one of the most common ways that lead poisoning occurs. Regularly vacuum and wet mop your floors to reduce the amount of dust in your home.
2. Don’t Try to Remove Lead Paint Yourself.
Disturbing lead paint can cause dangerous dust and chips throughout your home. If you need to remove lead paint, hire a professional who has experience dealing with this hazardous material.
3. Keep Children & Pregnant Women Away from Areas Where There May Be Lead Paint.
Children & pregnant women are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of lead poisoning. If you live in an older home, take steps to keep your family safe from lead exposure.
4. Get Your Home Tested for Lead Paint.
If you live in an older abode, it’s a good idea to have it tested for lead paint. A skilled professional can test for the presence of lead and advise you on the best way to deal with it.
5. Find Out If Your Water Has Led in It.
Older homes may have pipes that contain lead. If your home has lead pipes, find out if there are any steps you can take to diminish the amount of lead in your water.
6. Have Your Child Tested for Lead Poisoning
Have them tested if you’re concerned that your child may have been exposed to lead. A blood test can tell you if there is lead in your system.
7. Get Treatment for Lead Poisoning.
If your child has lead poisoning, it’s essential to get treatment immediately. Lead poisoning can be treated, but it’s crucial to catch it early.
8. Take Steps to Prevent Lead Exposure in The Future.
Once you know that lead is present in your home, take steps to prevent exposure. You can easily do this by cleaning any paint, chips, or dust and keeping your home clean.
9. Learn More About Lead Poisoning & What You Can Do to Prevent It.
Lead poisoning is a severe health hazard, but it’s also preventable. Learn & research more about what you can do to protect your family from lead poisoning.
When Is Lead Paint Most Dangerous?
Lead-based paint is most dangerous when deteriorating—peeling, chipping, chalking, cracking, etc. or when renovating or remodeling your home. It can also be a hazard when doing do-it-yourself (DIY) projects.
Lead is especially harmful to children because their bodies are growing, and they absorb more lead than adults. Also, it can cause permanent learning and behavior problems because their nervous systems are still developing. Lead poisoning can happen slowly and over time, and symptoms may not appear until it’s too late. That’s why it’s vital to catch it early.
Should I DIY Remove Lead Paint?
No! You should never try to remove lead paint yourself. It’s a job for a certified professional. Removing lead paint incorrectly can create more hazardous conditions and put you and your family at risk for lead poisoning.
What’re the Warning Signs of Lead Poisoning?
Lead poisoning symptoms in adults are:
- High blood pressure
- Difficulty concentrating or memory problems
- Mood disorders
- Muscle and joint pain
- Weakened bones and anemia
Lead poisoning symptoms in children are:
- Behavioral problems
- Learning difficulties
- Poor appetite
- A metallic taste in the mouth
- Poor muscle coordination
Lead Paint Laws and Regulations
If any lead paint is found, contractors are required by law to follow these procedures and other lead-safe work practices (governed by the Renovation, Repair, and Painting, or RPR, Rule):
- Containing the work area
- Minimizing dust
- Cleaning up
Even if your home was built after 1978, it might still have lead paint. Dust from old lead paint can be a health hazard if not cleaned regularly. If you are planning to renovate that will create dust, you should take precautions to protect yourself and your family from exposure to lead.
DeltaPro Painters Can Help You! As a full-service painting company, DeltaPro Painters can help you with any painting project in your home – big or small. We can also assist with lead paint testing and removal, if necessary. Call us today if you’re in Lebanon, OH, to get started – or get a free estimate now.